Sunday, August 31, 2008

Football season begins

It's almost fall. The sun is still brutally hot, but fall always brings about the start of special something. That special something is football! (Not to be confused with "futbol" where one actually uses the foot to move the ball.) Anyway, yesterday I had the honor of attending my first college football game in several years. 6, to be exact. Memorial stadium is just as beautiful and fun-filled as I remember. And although nothing about the experience has really changed, things are still different. The fans are just as crazy excited, but the stadium has grown. We are still drinking beer as we gear up for the game, but our location has moved. So as I reflect on this time-honored tradition, I shall list all the things I love most about football at Memorial Stadium.
I love . . .
*tailgating before games. Nothing like a cold beer and snacks to get you ready to cheer your team to victory.
*the tradition. I still can't believe how everyone joins in on the songs and cheers and overall "rooting" for the team the WHOLE game through. (guess that's what I get for attending a school with very little school spirit)
*the food. Gotta love standing in line for orange and white dippin' dots or a corn dog.
*the sea of burnt orange that stretches across more than 94,000 spectators.
*that where else are inappropriate gestures and slander more widely accepted?
And last but not least, I love the coming together of people ages 2-92 for a good time in the hot TX sun.
I love football, and I'm so glad to be back in TX to enjoy it once more. I can't wait for the upcoming season. Hook'em, horns!

http://www.lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, that made me so excited for the game!! Woohoo!

Anonymous said...

I told Mark I was looking forward to the tailgating more than anything else. The game is like a bonus after hot dogs and time spent with Lanny.

Mary said...

sucks you couldn't make it to the aggie game...i'm so sorry you got your schools confused.