Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Updates

Goodness me, it's been nearly 10 days and nothing from me. That must mean I've been busy as a bee. Let's see, let's see. What have I been doing . . . oh yes, this past Friday I was at a family function in the great city of Walburg, just north of Austin. Nothing like schnitzel, beer, and intoxicated family members. Then I saw a good friend in Austin the next day. We just spent the afternoon gabbing about life and how much it sucks to be an adult and out of college. I had dinner with family friends that night where I showed off my beautiful Italian Cream Cake I made. Can you say yummy? Mmm good. Sunday was a lazy day. No church. I really do need to get back into that.
Monday was started with a lovely drive to Houston to take my mama to her appointments/checkups/treatments at MDAnderson. I met the infamous Dr. Hwu. She's great. Excellent bedside manner. And she can keep my mom in line. Also, mom's nurses at the different doctor's offices were soooo nice as well. I walked away from the whole event feeling very good about having gone. I have missed out on spending time with her, and this was a great way to catch up and stay involved in her whole healing process. Doctors tell her everything is under control but pretty much the same. So I'm thankful for the small things. Although nothing is all that better, nothing is worse. Thank you, God.
While in Houston I met up with 2 of the lovely chi chis. It felt good to just go have dinner and chit chat. It was the first time since I've been back when something felt normal. I was around where my friends were so we went to dinner. That may sound simple, but it was good to do.
And that brings us to today where I am sitting holed up in my room while our lovely Olivia irons for my folks and George redoes our floors. That's right, say goodbye to carpet and hello to really rad wood floors. Other than the guy blaring classical music as he hammers and saws, the guy can WORK. He did about 3 days work in 2 so Mom could get a visual of how everything will look once he finishes. She was ecstatic when she walked in close to midnight last night. I think it gave her a jolt of energy to get through today, her first day at school.
And that's life here. I'll be holding down the fort/sleeping/watching pointless television to recover from the weekend and Houston trip. Or maybe I'll be put to work moving stuff back into place for the parentals. We'll see.
Happy Wednesdays!

2 comments:

Paula said...

it was so good to see you! i'm glad your mama's appts went well and you made it back to SA safe and sound!

Unknown said...

Excellent to hear about your time in Texas. I actually think this blogging thing is a good idea... I know, I know, who am I becoming, right? Well, as long as you keep it confined to a few people. I'm excited I get to share it with the chi chis :). Love ya!
p.s. that roommate you talk about seems pretty awesome... what's her name again? ;)